Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Writing Vs. Art

I decided a couple of years ago that I am not a visual artist, but I wish that I was. I often don't like what comes out of my paintbrush or my chalk. Sometimes I surprise myself but more often than not what comes out looks bad. I just don't know how to not judge it. Oh, I judge away. When I write something I don't like, I can say that I don't want to judge it and maybe it will turn into something. So its easier for me to be a writer (well maybe easy isn't the correct word) but less traumatic. I tried to be an artist for a few years but I was never satisfied with the results. Any tips for pulling the artist out? I know that she's in there but I don't know how to make her come out of hiding. I know that a lot of writers are skeptical about visual art and vice versa.

1 comment:

  1. I get this. I was an art major for about fifteen minutes. Sometimes I get the sketchbook out, that old urge comes over me, and then ... I get artist's block. It helps to start small: one leaf, a single shoelace, a crumpled paper. And don't judge!

    ReplyDelete