Friday, September 24, 2010

Childhood and Teenage Memories

Sometimes I really miss those days. Back when my family still all lived together and my parents weren't divorced. Usually when I think back on those hard times I am bitter. But I've become strangely nostalgic for those lost years. Mostly I miss us all eating dinner together, back when my parents actually ate carbs and we had spaghetti and garlic bread for dinner. (Of course, my mom makes the best spaghetti in the world.)
I also miss my best friend from those times. He actually called me the other day and said "Now we've known each other for ten years." It was amazing because that was the exact day when we went to the freshman homecoming dance together in 2000. That was the first time I ever slow danced with a guy. I was fourteen and he was fifteen. And we are still friends after all this time-after all the fights, arguments, and confusion.
I also miss my house-the big one where we grew up, my brothers and I. All the flowerbeds and trees and woods, the swimming pool and the park. The elementary school that I could walk to and my classroom with its old wooden desks and my bologna sandwich lunches. The old non-mechanical pencil sharpener, and those damn standardized tests. My group of girl friends and our crazy sleepover parties. In addition to the bad, there were some really good things back then.

1 comment:

  1. You never realize how good you had it until you don't have it anymore...

    ReplyDelete